Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Painted Butterflies, Paper Wings.

I had been meaning to get around to this one for a bit, but I always forgot to pick up pipe cleaners.  Towelflies were something you would see a lot in school when I was young.  It seemed like every class but mine would do this project and I was always so jealous when I saw the pretty butterflies the other girls would show off.  And about ten minutes later, some new catastrophe would take precedence.  Ah, youth!

Since I didn't have as many chances to do this project as I would have liked, I plan to let Kaitlyn make as many "towelflies" as she could possibly want!  After all, it's practically a free craft.  A few days ago, she made her first.  Right now it is hanging happily in the living room, but we are going to transfer the whole lot of them into her playroom once we have made a grouping of them.  I've no doubt she'll love seeing them hanging there everyday!

Dip your folded paper towel in liquid paints!

(Stop to see if it makes a good paintbrush...)

When it's been dipped to your satisfaction, squeeze the excess liquid out and then lay out to dry.

Moved to a better spot, along with some more of the days' painting work.  And she is on the other side of the easel drawing.  I am not exaggerating when I say my daughter is an art addict.

Once dry, wrap your pipe cleaner around the center.  I showed her how to wrap the "antenna" around my finger to give it curls!  She had a blast flapping it around the room.

Next time we'll try for some more vibrant coloring!

No comments:

Post a Comment