Friday, October 19, 2012

Daddy/Daughter Time and More Art

Really, though, isn't there always art.  Peyton enjoyed some Daddy-Time though as Kaitlyn sat at the table doing various activities and I stayed nearby so she wouldn't throw paint or glue on the ceiling.  I did manage to get some cleaning done in the process!

Keith thinks it is so awesome how well she is sitting now.  He missed out on three weeks of progress with it and she is just barely wobbly at all now.

Every time she would wobble a bit, he would reach out ready to catch her.

She was so disturbed by the camera that I just let them alone to enjoy their time together.

Kaitlyn decided yesterday she needed to be pretty much constantly entertained.  There wasn't a minute of independent playtime to her day.  This is pretty odd for her.  She normally plays for about half an hour on her own in the morning and then another hour in the evening.  I hadn't really prepped any activities for her either because with Keith back home I thought she might be happy to just play with him for awhile.  Such an optimist.

I cut a paper plate she had painted to make her a mask and glued it to a popsicle stick.  She thought it was awesome.  Funny how the simplest things are totally amazing to a toddler...

We reused some art she had previously done and she glued embellishments on it.

We made more butterflies and I put one on a stick for her to play with.  That didn't go over so well as she just got upset about it being stuck and I had to take it off again!

And stamps...  this cheap little set from Oriental Trading Company is her favorite stamp set.  They are self-inking and she can remove the lids and put them back on herself.  It's a completely independent craft for us now that she doesn't put them in her mouth, but I do stay nearby.  The only problem is that they are NOT washable.  She gets it on her fingers and touches her face often.  I suppose a little staining isn't the end of the world.

Yes, we had a busy day being Satonic yesterday...  and after the girls were off to bed, I had a little project of my own.  Recently, within the past few days, I was searching for a spot in my pantry to put a sticky trap for the spider crickets that are trying to make their way into our home.  During all the crawling and bumping of my head on various objects, I discovered some very-very-VERY-OLD pasta that has probably been with us longer than we have owned the house.  I didn't realize just how long that pasta had been sitting around waiting for us to eat it...  I always grab at the whole wheat or garden pasta boxes now that Kaitlyn eats real food and just kept that stuff for backup.

If you remember as a kid making those pasta necklaces and macaroni art, you probably remember just how much fun that was (though now I have no clue at all as to why I was entertained).  I had no idea how you go about dyeing pasta, but a quick google search showed me that vinegar or rubbing alcohol and food coloring is all you need.  I needed to buy some food coloring anyhow, so I dyed some pasta last night and let it dry/air out.

Kaitlyn has a book called Rainbow Delight.  It was a cheap little find at the grocery store bargain bin, but she just loves that book.  This is also a cheap little trick that she loves so far.  You can see I tried to do the whole ROYGBIV thing, but the last two colors I'm not so sure are an accurate reflection of the rainbow.  I was kind of guessing on the ratios of blue to red...  I probably should have googled it!  This is a TON of pasta, but what else are you going to do with expired and ancient pasta?  Some of it can't be threaded because it was just a random grouping of boxes I had, but we can use it for art still.

She doesn't care though.  It's only the perfectionist in me that is bothered.  I tied some yarn to a q-tip so that she could thread the larger noodles.  She really really enjoyed this.  Peyton was happily playing until I distracted her with the flash...

I tied off a necklace for her, but she wasn't really interested.  She took it off and handed it to me and started threading the second string of yarn, so I think we won't make anymore necklaces for awhile.  She can just thread them and I'll take them back off for her to rethread.  She was not happy when we had to take the pasta away.  I probably shouldn't have introduced this activity only an hour before she had to go upstairs for her bath.

Reorganized!  From bottom left to top right.  A container for art.  They either can't be threaded or would have to be threaded on fishing line which I am not okay with Kaitlyn using at this time.  Then there is a container of stringing pastas and a container with some pasta and cups to be used for sorting games.  And then a basket of extra pasta that I'm really not sure what I'll be doing with at this point.  It was really a lot of pasta, but I didn't want to just throw it out.  I'm sure she will be back to stringing pasta tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment